Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and victims and educators at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School where 17 lost their lives yesterday.
Unfortunately tragedy can strike anywhere in this country, but school shootings tend to be in suburban areas similar to Bourbonnais. We want to inform our community of the proactive layers of protection we have in place in our schools for safety.
- Our staff is ALICE trained. www.alicetraining.com ALICE is active shooter civilian response training.
- Our students are being provided age-appropriate ALICE training, which encourages active decision making to avoid injury in the case of a shooting.
- Our buildings are locked down with internal secure foyers in all buildings.
- Besides the main entrance, all exterior doors remain locked at all times. Key-less entry systems are in place for staff so that doors are never keyed to an unlocked position.
- All classroom doors lock and secure from the interior.
- New technologies are used to communicate threats with staff and law enforcement.
- Visitors must enter through the main entrance and drivers license scans are required to enter the academic portions of the building.
- The Village and District employ Student Resources Officer Travis Garcia who is assigned full-time to the district.
- Several other proactive security measures are in place that we do not make public.
As proactive as we have become, we still need the community's help. Monitor your child's social media and web history. Talk to your child about and report any suspicious or dangerous posts they see on social media. Be in communication with the school and Bourbonnais Police Department if your child hears or sees something alarming.
Our number one priority at BESD#53 is the safety of your children! Let's continue to partner together for that cause.